Community Room Rental Information
The community room is available for rent for private and public events.
We welcome a wide variety of events including by not limited to:
- Food – vegetarian cooking classes, raw, vegan, alternative diets, fermenting, nutrition, whole foods, wellness
- Movement and Healing – yoga, dance, meditation, mindfulness
- Educational – permaculture, gardening, political campaigns
- Business – networking, work meetings, trainings, meet-up groups
- Celebrations – birthday parties, craft nights, movie nights
Community Room Rental Rates:
- $10/hr for People’s Co-op Member-Owners
- $20/hr for general public, non-Member-Owner
People’s Community Room is 600 square feet.
Maximum capacity: 50 persons.
The community room has hardwood floors, high ceilings, and windows on three sides. The room is equipped with six feet long folding tables, 40 folding chairs, a dry erase board, projection screen, yoga blocks, straps and blankets. Currently, there is not an a/v projector for public use. The room is located upstairs from People’s Co-op sales floor and has a lift for wheelchair accessibility.
Before Submitting Your Request
- Look at the Community Room Calendar to see if the dates and times you have in mind are already booked. Please note: Some events are "private" and not listed.
- If possible, submit your request 4-6 weeks prior to your desired date.
- Submitting a request does not guarantee that your event will be booked, but we will make every effort to do so, so long as certain criteria are met.
- Due to a rather full event calendar, it is unlikely that a regular standing event will be booked or scheduled (e.g., weekly classes, monthly meetings, etc). You may submit a request, but please be aware that it is unlikely.
- Please allow 1 week for the Community Room Coordinator to review and respond to your request. Request forms are reviewed in the order they arrive. If you have questions, call the co-op at 503.232.9051.
We welcome public events or classes hosted by members of our community. We may even choose to sponsor them! An event may be sponsored by People’s if it meets the following criteria:
- It is in line with People’s Ends and values
- It is free or low-cost and open to the public
- It has a wide appeal to our patrons and Member-Owners
You are still more than welcome to host an event even if not sponsored by People's.
If you are charging an entry fee for an event, you are responsible for acquiring payment from attendees. People's does not collect class fees for events on behalf of renters.
If you are selling a product or service, we ask that you state it clearly in your request form. If you are selling or soliciting anything that does not fall within People’s Food Co-op Ends, or is in direct competition with items we sell, we cannot book your event.
You are the primary promoter of your event. People’s Food Co-op is not responsible for marketing your event. All public events will be posted on our online calendar, and may be included in the following: in-store paper calendar, newsletter, MO owner-email, social media.
You are welcome to post flyers on the community room bulletin board and the boards outside the co-op.
Community Room Guidelines
Once your event is confirmed and scheduled, you are solely responsible for your event and its execution, and leaving the room as you found it. You will be responsible for:
- Set up and tear down tables, chairs, or any other equipment used.
- Sweep, mop, take out garbage/recycling, as needed.
- Clean dry erase board, if used.
- Pay in full for your rental, no later than the day of the event.
- No alcohol or drugs are permitted in the community room.
- If you need assistance, please ask a staff member for help.
People’s Safer Space Policy
Peoples Food Co-op strives to create a safer and accessible space that values everyone. When present on Co-op property, each person is expected to respect all aspects of people including their ethnicity, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, religion, political affiliation, nationality, size, age, and ability. Physical or verbal abuse, sexual or any other form of harassment, theft, or damage of property is simply not tolerated. Someone who is unable to meet these expectations will be asked to leave the property. If you feel that someone is in violation of this policy please talk to a staff member.
*This policy represents People's Collective Management's best thinking at this time. We strive to create and maintain a safer space, and recognize that inclusivity is dynamic. Being truly welcoming takes engagement and we're committed to continuing this work.
Questions about this policy? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We ask for at least 2 weeks notice of a public event and 48 hours notice of a private event. Failure to notify the co-op of an event cancellation may result in a cancellation fee.