- 1-2 large onions, cut into long thin slices
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 medium delicata squash, cut into ½ inch wedges
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 blood oranges, sliced into rounds
- 1 medium avocado, sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Heat ¼ cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and a pinch of salt. Sauté until onions soften, then turn the heat down so the onions are simmering gently in the oil. Let it simmer on low for about 30-45 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Onions are done when softened, golden brown, and slightly sweet. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425F. In a bowl, combine the squash, oil, and salt and toss to coat. Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, flipping about half way through. Remove from oven and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, delicata squash, blood orange, avocado, spinach, almonds, and ¼ cup of the caramelized onions. In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tbsp olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Natalie Bickford.