- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (or Portobello, white button, etc)
- 2 Tablespoons oil or fat of your choice
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 loose Tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 loose Tablespoon fresh thyme
- pinch sea salt & crushed black pepper
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or coconut milk, or water)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos (or tamari)
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Chop up mushrooms and sauté in oil over medium high heat for about 8 minutes. Then add in garlic and herbs, sauté for another minute or two. Toss all ingredients including almond milk and coconut aminos into a blender, and blend on high until creamy. Return to the sauté pan to warm up before serving. Optional: Simply add more almond milk to turn it into a soup instead of a gravy.
This gravy also makes an excellent “cream of mushroom soup” replacement in your green bean casseroles! If making a green bean casserole, toss in some sliced mushrooms, and bake just as you would normally. Top it off with sliced almonds instead of fried onions for a healthy twist. This gravy also makes a great base for a cream of mushroom soup, just thin it out the right consistency, and top with sautéed mushrooms and fresh herbs.